Friday, June 29, 2007
Non-profit job: Onward! Program Consultant
Onward! Program Consultant
A program of St. John's Educational Thresholds Center
St. John's is a community based, non-religious affiliated organization with 35 years experience developing the gifts and talents of young people in the Mission District. St. John's works with youth (5-18), families and schools to increase educational commitment and achievement through year-round academic support, leadership development, and cultural enrichment activities.
While we believe that education is the most effective way to improve lives and impact community, our youth development approach extends beyond academics to include:
1. Interpersonal skill development, personal health, and relationship building;
2. Parent involvement, support and education;
3. Community engagement, service learning and neighborhood wellness.
Onward! works to increase the number of Mission District youth who pursue post-secondary education. In collaboration with Mission High School, Onward! leads informational workshops for students about college and provides Mission High seniors with individualized support throughout the entire college admissions process, including applications, financial aid, scholarships, and school choice.
Position: Onward! Program Consultant
15 hours/week, 10 months/year, Independent Contractor
Required hours 11-4 Tuesday and Thursday, plus 5 other hours TBD
The Onward! Program Consultant is responsible for working with the Mission High School College Center to support juniors and seniors with the college application process. This position is a part-time, independent contractor position, and reports to St. John's High School Programs Director.
In collaboration with Mission High School college counselor:
· Work on-site at Mission High School Tuesday and Thursday afternoons throughout the entire school year;
· Work with students in groups and one-on-one, by appointment, drop-in, and email;
· Support seniors with entire college application process, including but not limited to: applications, personal statements, financial aid, scholarships, and school choice;
· Help prepare juniors for college application process by leading informational workshops;
· Work closely with Mission High School college counselor to ensure that all students are receiving necessary support and services;
· Maintain all required registration and attendance records;
· Adhere to current contract requirements to implement and evaluate college-readiness activities.
· Weekly check-in with supervisor;
· Act as a member of the St. John's High School Programs team;
· Assist with grant reporting about Onward! activities as needed;
· Implement other college-readiness activities as assigned.
· BA or BS;
· Strong understanding of issues effecting low-income, urban youth, specifically regarding access to post-secondary education;
· Commitment to youth development principles;
· Experience working with high school youth;
· Familiarity with college application process;
· Excellent organizational and communication skills, including public speaking;
· Ability to set clear and consistent boundaries with youth and co-workers;
· Ability to maintain a respectful and professional demeanor at all times;
· Proven ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds;
· Health clearance from a medical professional;
· Fingerprint clearance from the US Department of Justice.
· Experience providing college-readiness services to high school students;
· Bilingual Spanish or Cantonese;
· Familiarity with the Mission District community and its youth-serving organizations;
· Familiarity with Bay Area college preparation programs and resources.
Mission District residents, bilingual Spanish-English or Cantonese-English speakers, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please send your resume and a cover letter articulating your interest and qualifications to
(no phone calls please):
or you can send us a fax at 415-864-0916
ATTN: Onward! Program Consultant