Friday, June 29, 2007
Non-profit job: Community Resource Coordinator
A Program of St. John's Educational Thresholds Center
St. John's is a community based, non-religious affiliated organization with 35 years experience developing the gifts and talents of young people in the Mission District. St. John's works with youth (5-18), families and schools to increase educational commitment and achievement through year-round academic support, leadership development, and cultural enrichment activities.
While we believe that education is the most effective way to improve lives and impact community, our youth development approach extends beyond academics to include:
1. Interpersonal skill development, personal health, and relationship building;
2. Parent involvement, support and education;
3. Community engagement, service learning and neighborhood wellness.
Position: Community Resource Coordinator
40 hours per week, Americorps*VISTA
August 15, 2007- August 15, 2008
Compensation: Americorps*VISTA Stipend and post-service Education Award/Stipend
The Community Resource Coordinator Americorps*VISTA will support all of St. John's programs by leveraging and coordinating community resources, including volunteers, parents and families, and in-kind donations of goods and services. The goal of the Community Resource Coordinator position is to create a vibrant, centralized, volunteer network that supports St. John's programs while expanding St. John's visibility and reputation as a significant resource for Mission District families.
* Develop and implement a centralized, agency-wide volunteer program, building on the current successful volunteer program at one site.
* Link with all St. John's Program Directors and Americorps*VISTA College Connect Coordanator to identify specific program needs.
* Create marketing materials to recruit volunteers.
* Recruit volunteers from Mission District and larger San Francisco community.
* Develop volunteer protocol, ensuring compliance with all St. John's policies and procedures.
* Maintain intake and placement system.
* Create and implement volunteer orientation and assessment.
* Establish and maintain youth volunteer component through which St. John's program participants have opportunities to volunteer internally at other St. John's programs.
* Create annual volunteer recruitment and appreciation events.
* Help stage agency events that act to engage and introduce new volunteers to the organization.
* Meet with members of St. John's Board of Directors to elicit board involvement.
* Represent St. John's at various community meetings and events.
* Work to engage local business community in feeling "vested" in the success of St. John's.
* Pursue in-kind support and resources from local businesses, individuals, and other community-based organizations as needed.
* Experience working with adult and youth volunteers.
* Experience managing projects that involve coordinating many people and groups.
* Excellent communication skills including verbal, written, and presentation-based.
* Event planning experience.
* Simple database creation skills desired.
* Experience with or interest in Youth Development principles and practices.
* Proven ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds.
* Bilingual Spanish/English skills preferred.
* Proof of a negative TB test and fingerprint clearance from the Department of Justice required before beginning work.
Mission District residents, bilingual Spanish-English, and people of color
are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please send your resume and a cover letter articulating your interest and qualifications to
(no phone calls please):
or send us a fax at 415-864-0916
ATTN: Community Resource *VISTA